Monday, October 10, 2011

Threat From Above


I've been working on this oil painting for a long time. I'd guess six months. It is titled "Threat From Above" and is 16"x20". The camera doesn't quite capture the vivid color, nor the fact that every single blade of grass is painted in tiny detail. I asked my husband to use one camera to take the picture, he declined for reasons I can't fathom and used an inferior camera. That's marriage, when your partner is going to be bull headed you just throw your hands up in the air and sigh.

At one point in painting this picture I couldn't touch the paint brush. I had given the painting such close scrutiny for so long that it became loathsome to me. I switched over to drawing for a little while in order to let the joy of painting percolate in me and after spending a time apart, come back to me. The lust for painting has finally returned, but with this painting, I have poured over its every detail for so long that I don't know what to think about it. Is it any good? Are the colors bizarre? Yes, the colors are bizarre. I used a strange green and an odd type of red for the shadows in the horse woman and the little people. This gives them more of a hallucinogenic glow than anything that might be close to natural. To say I had no idea how this painting would look like finished is an understatement. It got away from me and became its own thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

In order to keep a neat and orderly blog, I am initiating comment moderation. Thank you.